Personal & Professional Goals
Recently, I had to create a professional dossier that detailed everything from my philosophy of education to my autobiography in order to apply for professional year. The department of education wanted the dossier to include the old pieces I wrote last year and also revised pieces.
The entire process was surprisingly rewarding. It was amazing to look back on “Why I Want to be a Teacher” and see the growth I’ve experienced within the past year. My philosophy of education has entirely changed. My perspective on education has changed.
It was fun to look back on my personal and professional goals and see how much they’ve changed:
Original Personal and Professional Goals
- Graduate from Western Nebraska Community College with an Associate of Arts Degree in General Studies with high honors.
- Graduate with high honors from Chadron State College with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Education with an English Endorsement.
- Obtain a position as an English teacher at a local high school or middle school.
- Graduate from college debt-free.
- Continue to volunteer in service organizations like Kiwanis.
- Become a leader in a variety of college activities.
Revised Personal and Professional Goals
- Instill a passion for reading and writing in my students in order to create lifelong readers and writers.
- Complete a master’s program in English.
- Continually pursue professional development and publish a mentor text for English teachers.
- Balance personal life and professional life.
- Be a lifelong reader and writer.
- Remember the moments that have led me to where I am while helping as many people as possible along the way.
I have higher expectations for myself now. I want big things for my career. I no longer want to teach for summers off.
I want to teach because I want to save lives. I want to make a boom! in the world of education.